Friday, August 31, 2007
39. Random things about me- for my b-day!
1) Today is my b-day!
2) I am a Christian.
3) I have 3 sons....
4) I have had one son in each of the last three decades....1989, 1992 and 2002.
5) I've been married to my highschool sweet heart since 1988.
6) He's my favorite person. (Yes- I think he's funny- though don't always laugh at his jokes;)
7) I love my friends.
8) I like to knit.
9) I love to write- I am working on a book.. and have another idea set to go;)
10) I love public speaking. (Let's face it- I love talking! ;)
11) I have been involved in MOPS International for nearly 17 years. As a MOPPET Coordinator, MOPS Coordinator, MOPS Mentor, Council Coordinator and now- MAC- Ministry Advancement Coordinator. I'm passionate about mothering and equipping women to be Moms.
12) I once had a run in with a stuck in the pan- pan of brownies... the brownies won. I ended up in a cast for 5 weeks! (I'll spare you the gory details- suffice to say- I know what it looks and feels like to drive a knife through your hand)
13) I always line my brownie pans with parchment paper now- NO MORE Stuck brownies.
14) I've worn glasses since Kindergarten- though hid them in my book bag for years.
15) In elementry school- I had a full set of leg braces to "fix" my pigeon-toed feet.
16) They were made of cabling ending in "ORTHOPEDIC" shoes with hinges at the hip and ankle--- they squeaked.
17) Those years of shoe deprivation (or however long I wore them) probably led to my deep appreciation of- (some may say obsession with ) pretty shoes.
18) I love photography.
19) We camp. (have a trailer with a/c ;) I know- we suffer- it's really roughing it;)
20) I'm a morning person.
21) I love water. I love beaches.
22) I love to read.
23) I was a pastoral counselor for about 13 years.
24) I love working with children.
25) I need "alone time"
26) I hate yellow. (But, wish I didn't- it's such a happy color;)
27) I don't "Do" yard/garden work- unless under threat of death or lawsuit or conviction.
28) I've had acrylic nails for just about EVAH.
29) My hair has been the following colors- Red, burgundy, blonde, black, various shades of brown, eggplant- and accidently- once Purple. (Never buy haircolor on clearance- is all I'm sayin)
30) I can spin wool to yarn.
31) My life in crafting- Crochet in the 80's- then years of cross stitch, quilting, scrapbooking, photography, knitting.
32) My parents are divorced and happily remarried.
33) My dad is a recovering addict- (multiple addictions- glad he's sober)
34) I homeschooled my two oldest sons for a few years- my youngest will be homeschooled until I can get him into a charter school .
35) I have visited- Greece- Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Italy- Venice, Germany- Munich, Austria- Salzburg. I love travel- we also go to Traverse City, Michigan a couple times a year- (It's beautiful)
36) Someday I want to go to: Ireland, Wales, England, France, New Zeeland and Australia.
37) I can read upside down.
38) I hate having my picture taken- DO NOT like how I look in pics.
39) To me- being a Christian is about following God- where-ever and however He leads me. Since I don't take "direction" well..... that can lead to come pretty interesting paths;) I fall down on that journey ALOT... but it's His grace that picks me up- dusts me off and carries me along.
Labels: my birthday, randomisity, things about me
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Hemlock Ring doily- now shawl;)
Ya just never know what you'll find on the 'net- Sometimes, even- inspiration. This is one of those weeks. In the knitterly way! I found the Hemlock Ring Doily Pattern- via
Jared- (AKA Brooklyntweed) used a hefty yarn and big needles to transform a 1942 knit doily pattern into a blanket. I've changed needles and yarn (yet again) to turn the same pattern into a shawl. It's my first attempt at a circular shawl, I was hesitant to try one. (No real answer for why- I use circs all the time- and dpns and knit in the round)
I'm using US #3's for a nice, full lace look. (I wanted something more substantial after all the lace weight- in the MS3) The yarn is Colinette's "Jitterbug" in beautiful rich colorway- "Velvet Plum." The yarn is a lovely, squishy, soft merino fingering weight. The colorway is a tonal semi-solid- and the stitch definition is great.
Monkey Sock update? You bet!
Cookie A's Monkey Sock pattern from Knitty.com
Lana Grossa Cotton Meilenweit (Cotton blend)
Grafton Fibers "Darn Pretty Needles" In size 1 1/2 (loving these- smooth nice points- and truly- "Darn Pretty" like knitting with a rainbow! ;)
Between knits and laundry I've been prepping the guys for back to school...... shoes backpacks...clothes...supplies......All the while trying NOT to think about a year from now- when the oldest will be leaving for college!
A post on those thoughts is coming soon...... it's all about TIME... and running out of it!
Knitting is a rather nice and productive avoidance technique ;)
Labels: circular shawl, Hemlock Doily, Jitterbug, monkey socks
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Mystery Stole 3 BLOCKING! Complete;)
Mystery Stole 3 is finished and currently enjoying my cat-proof blocking method. (I just lay it out on the floor with blocking wires and blow the fan over it... my cats don't "Do" wind;)
Pretty pics to tempt you: (you can see more at my flickr page)
Just The Stats Ma'am:
Alpaca With a Twist Fino- Black just over 1 skein.. probably around 900-950 yrds. (Skein has 875)
US size 3 Crystal Palace Bamboo circular needles
Free (for members- available soon for purchase) Pattern from Pinklemontwist
More pics are up at flickr
Beads from good old big box Michaels. in black glass. (Tossed the pkg ... sorry. But- somewhere between a 6 and 10) (how's that for vagueness?)
Size 12 Crochet hook for threading on the beads.
So-this was my first attempt blocking lace with blocking wires-
Love them. Bought them at knit-picks.
Go ahead. Buy them now- Really- you should. It'll save you hours of pinning.
Any guesses what I'm knitting next?
A few clues:
1) Free pattern online.
2) Ummm yeah. Lace.
3) It's my first CIRCULAR lace piece.
4) It's currently on a fabulous male knitters blog (where I found the pattern) He used BIG needles... I'm not.
5) you should get it from that.
Stats- Colinette Jitterbug (YUM. I needed something a bit more substantial after all that lace-weightthis is like yarny truffles)
US Size 3 needles- started on DPNS- Darn Pretty Needles by Grafton Fibers--- Let's just say The Yarn Harlot knows her DPNS;)
(I bought them after seeing them on her blog- and they are lovely- also currently knitting another pair of Cookie A's Monkey's on a beautiful rainbow colored set of US 1 1/2s;)
Pics of those, tomorrow!
For now- this is the start of my new lace project:
I have to go- blocking is such exhausting work;)
PS--- Ok- Romi-- I'm ready for my shawl pin;)
Friday is my birthday- I'm hoping to have pin in hand and wear it with the new stole, out to dinner with my guys;)
black dress- black stole and silver swan- that's a date;)
Labels: complete, FO, mystery stole #3 kal
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Wordless Wednesday- Fossil Hunter
Scroll down for more about our Fossil hunt!
Labels: fossil hunting, wordless wednesday
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
A rockin' good time...Fossil Hunting......
Boys and rocks- they go together like bread and butter (well- except dirtier;) Instead of fighting the whole rock thing- last weekend we rolled with it;) We were fossil hunters for a day! (and a new hobby has been born- this time for the guys not so much me--- this involves dirt so-- ummm you know- i did my share, but not so much my thing;)
Olander Park- Sylvania Ohio
(About an hour from our home)
What can you find? Fossils. Loads of them.
How do you do it? You play in the dirt, find 2 rocks, and then caveman- style bang them together- until one breaks. The guys were all over this one. Well- till they got bored (after about 2 hours) and started throwing rocks over the edge- It was inevitible.)
A few notes:
Mystery Stole 3 is coming rt along- I finished clue 5 this morning- just 6 and 7 to go;)
- Bring a garden kneepad thing.. (or just knee pads would work)
- I'd suggest work/type gloves- those rocks are sharp and just the pounding hurts.
- Bring water bottles , sunblock. You are sitting in a rock quarry- basically a brick oven;)
- Bring a bag for taking home you're treasures. (Yes- you GET to keep what ya find;) A few paint brishes fro removing dirt would be good too;)
- No hammers, chisels etc. They do have a few shovels available. (we opted to bring home a few mid size rocks to break apart at home with our own tools- worked great!
- They receive "fresh" deliveries on the 1st of the month. (less picked over at that time)
- It's free! (Can't beat that)
- They do have a sign with pics of fossils you may find- but we also took this book- "The Complete Guide to Michigan Fossils"
I'm just hoping I can get it done in time for when my "Swan Shawl pin" arrives..... It will kill me if I have to wait to wear it once the pin arrives;)
Labels: fossil hunting, mystery stole 3 kal
Friday, August 17, 2007
Monkey Socks are done!
Yarn- Trekking Pro- Natura Color-# 1606
US 2 Ebony Lantern Moon Sox Stix
Pattern notes- never checked my guage- will make these again on a 1 1/2 they are a bit loose.
Shoes- Crocs- Mary Janes in chocolate ;) Ugly but comfy.
Ummmm yeah. Another Chevron... Couldn't resist- the Artyarns silk was perfect bay colors;)
Oh- and just a shot of the sun breaking through the clouds;)
Labels: artyarns silk, chevron scarf, cookie A, finished objects, monkey socks, pro natura, sun through clouds, trekking xxl
Thursday, August 16, 2007
secret pal 11
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Love KSH, wool silk blends.... noro silk garden light, sock yarn;) Laceweight, would LOVE to try Sundara. Really prefer natural fibers.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Needle rolls made by my sis in law- ;) CHeck out her etsy shop!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Oh, bout 4 years (the addiction is clouding my sense of time) prob intermediate- to intermediate advanced... I fear the steek. and haven't done much color work.... but lace is a fav.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? yep. Amazon
5. What's your favorite scent? Lavendar, vanilla, rose,
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Dark chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? Spin. Photography and am learning watercolor painting.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) like a pretty eclectic selection of music- everything from classical to U2. My Ipod is my friend;)
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Love jewel tones... reds blues purples. Not a huge fan of orange and yellow. Pastels pretty much make me look ill. (olive complected;) )
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married for 19 yrs. 3 sons 18, 15 and 5 (surprise!) 2 cats and one bad beagle- who is sweet- lucky for her rabbit chasing self.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? scarves, mittens not so much hats or ponchos... I don't get ponchos- they are like wearing a blazing arrow that point to your butt. Something I try to avoid after 3 kids;)
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Whatever my current project is- all the while dreaming of my next one--- the next hit is always better, isn't it?
13. What are you knitting right now? Mystery Stole 3. Monkey socks in Trekking Pro-natura, and the invisibility shawl from Charmed knits. Also on hold is my second Central park hoodie.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Love it.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Right needle for the right project. Mostly wood- but love addis and knitpicks options too;)
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yep.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Prob 6 months. (MY CPH)
18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas
19. Is there anything that you collect? Mccoy pottery(usually white/cream) , Longaberger baskets and tin/metal chocolate molds.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Grafton Fibers circs. (or other needles) Lacy little knits. Sundara yarns.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Colorwork,
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yep. I wear a 6 1/2
23. When is your birthday? August 31. YAY me!
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? soltrcy see you there;)
Labels: secret pal
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Wordless Wednesday- Traverse City Sunset
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
My Men on the Beach
Monday, August 13, 2007
The washing machine is running like it's being chased by the salvage man....(which it may be ready for after the three smelly bags of beach laundry I have in store for it!)
The kids are peeling their sunburns, and competing to see who can create the largest un -torn skin shedding. (ouch, and yeah- I know MORE sunblock..... I get it)
There are misc suitcases calling my name and it's taken me all day to upload 579 pics to my lap top (only 30 of which made it to flickr so far)..
All this can only mean one thing- We're home from Traverse City!
More updates and pics to follow-- for now, it's the laundry dungeon for me... after a quick stop to find my lipbalm.... I somehow managed to SUNBURN my bottom lip!!!!!!!
You can click the flick pic and check out the traverse city set for a sneak peek;)
Friday, August 03, 2007
Mystery Stole 3 KAL Clue 5 thoughts Bose Headphones shorting.....buzzzz
Hmm. The Theme? I love it.
Melanie has already revealed it- Swan Lake.
I've already downloaded the music to my ipod, and am currently listening to it--- while I think. Doesn't classical music make you smarter???? (crosses fingers as what lies ahead will surely involve math) At any rate-I'm hoping it will help solve my knitting dilemma.
The next clue in the mystery stole takes a lovely and interesting turn... but it isn't my style- it's asymetrical. When it comes to symmetry I'm OCD. So, now I have to think.
What to do?
1) Rip back and knit as recommended for a symmetrical version? (kudo's for the ever considerate Melanie for adding this option)
2) Plow ahead with the asymmetrical design... not convinced I'll like it?
3) Stop at row 334. Cast on and knit again to row 331 then graft at the center point?
4) Stop at 334, cast on and knit to same- grafting at the center point?
5) Stop where I am- cast on for second half and figure it all out later?????
I think I'll be taking option number 5.......
I'm also starting a campaign to pester, I mean encourage... Romi
- of Designs by Romi
to design a lovely swan pin to go with this shawl.......go ahead...visit her site....leave her a message or send an e-mail.....either way stop by and see her beautiful work!
I'm packing up to go to Traverse City...a week on the beach...Ahhhhhhhhh.....
I'll be writing. I'll be knitting. I'll be fishing. I'll be swimming. I'll be sunning. I'll be taking loads of pics...I'll be spinning. I'll be playing in the sand. I'll be drawing and painting.... The boys will be fishing, swimming and playing.
But my poor Hubby will be working. Poor guy. But that's our ticket to the beach- thnx honey;)
PS--- wanna know whats HIGHLY annoying? When you spend a 100 bucks on Bose in-ear headphones for your ipod and the cord shorts out just past the warranty- so you end up listening to Swan Lake as it alternates between STEREO and MONO......
Worse yet?- I have a pretty substantial hearing loss in one ear so the effect is doubly annoying.... Gonna hafl to head to Target for new headphones before I leave.....any reccommendations for in ear easy to fit in with your Ipod earphones with great sound?????
Less rambling more coherency next post. (Let's hope;)
Labels: ipod headphones, mystery stole #3 kal
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
So then neither is he that planteth anything, neither he that watereth, but God that giveth the increase.(1 Corinthians 3:7)
(Well- maybe nothing-in certain senses- but definitely, cute;)
For more wordless wednesday
Labels: watering can, wordless wednesday